Sunday, August 29, 2010

Project 1, Part 1: Dot Dot Dot..

Thumbnail Sketches
I was a little confused on what to do with similarity and closure, I did my best.

Proximity

Similarity

Continuance

Closure

Favorite 16
Proximity, Similarity, Continuance, Closure

September 1, 2009, Criticising
Today everyone at my table criticized my work, as a group the pointed out my habbits of using mostly big dots. They also noticed that the principal of continuancy was dominant through out my sketches. Along with that, the group said that there wasn't really alot of variety in the sizes of the dots on each sketch itself, they pointed out that most of my sketches had sets of two, and for the most part, all of my sketches were very geometric. The group also decided that my weakest point in this project was the proximity part.
After they started catagorizing the 16 sketches I put in front of them, we realized that we all had a different understanding of the similarity aspect. Thanks to Kathy though we got that straightend out. (As we critized everyones work, it seemed like we all had a different interpretation of the terms though.) After they got it all figured out, the group picked my strongest sketch in each catagory, however they did make a change to the proximity one, but I have to say that I agree with their decision.


Taa Daa! The Final Four!

3 comments:

  1. great start...in general your dots are one of two sizes with lots of negative space (white space) left over. play with a view where maybe a dot or two are stupid big and the page is more figure (dot) then ground (white paper). you have a few that play with asymmetry nicely. the predominant pattern with a quick glance is that overall designs tend to be somewhat centered on the page...explore a few more thumbnails that are unbalanced relative to the page. great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you feeling stronger in your understanding of solving for similarity and closure yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think some of the new sketches i changed in class represent what your saying, i do feel like i understand the terms alot more now

    ReplyDelete